Sunday, August 7, 2011

Thrifty Find!

I took a little stroll through the Value Village Thrift store a couple of weeks ago with Bean and look what we found!
1950 Singer 301

A 1950 Singer 301.  The "Big Sis" of the Featherweight that Hazel gave me last year. She is in pristine condition, not a thread or wisp of lint to be found anywhere.  Just a minor scratch or two if you really look close (excluding the dust she has collected this week in my sewing room after sewing a flannel housecoat!).  The cord was in excellent shape and after I oiled and greased her she purrs like a kitten.  The nice thing about her is that she fits in the same table that the Featherweight came in.  Although, when I sewed the housecoat, her top speed causes that table to shake!  I was looking for a machine to do free motion quilting on because none of mine will comply. Many of the quilting sites suggest this 301 was "made for quilting".  Imagine my surprise when I found her laying on the floor all dishevelled in her case at the thrift store!  Button holer and several interesting feet all intact in the original boxes as well. And, you will never guess at the price!  The sticker read $14.99.....and I had a coupon for 30% off!  So all in all, she cost me $10.00 and $11.00 at the local shop for a check up for the tension.  Now I need to find a free motion foot for her and see if all those quilting ladies are right.
Hope your weekend was great!
Penny

4 comments:

Lisa said...

It was an EXCELLENT find and purchase! Glad it went to such a good home! It will be happy sewing with you :)

Missy Shay said...

Wow, what a great find!

pannay said...

what a beautiful machine!! great find!

A Plain Path said...

Great find and such a beauty! Hope you find that foot!